Ian is back today with an invitation for fun ~ making brand new play dough for December fun!
Play dough Invitation Poem
Good morning little friends on this second day of December
Today I have a recipe for fun that you are sure to remember
Mix together these ingredients add the peppermint too
Warm them together on the stove so that they are no longer goo
And you will have some warm peppermint play-doh to explore
You can create hours of fun and creations galore
I will be back again tomorrow with a message from the big guy
In the meantime be friendly and give some random acts of kindness a try!
Gluten-Free Peppermint Play Dough
Original base recipe for the dough comes from the Celiac Disease Foundation I adapt / tweak for my preference
What you need:
- ½ cup white rice flour or Bisquick mix works
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- Food coloring, if desired. We added a little 'green' to ours for December.
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil or extract.
What you do:
- Mix ingredients. Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until it forms a ball. Cool completely before storing in a sealable plastic bag.
Or if you want to have a little more fun this recipe for 'apple cinnamon clay' is a lot of fun too!
Christmas Cinnamon Clay Ornaments
What You Need
- 1 part unsweetened applesauce
- 1 part cinnamon
- Ziplock bag
- Wax Paper
- Rolling pins and cookie cutters
- A few Straw cut in half or thirds
What You Do
- Add ingredients to the ziplock bag and let the children 'mix' in the bag' by shaking and gently squishing until it forms a 'ball'.
- Than you can roll it out on parchment paper or wax paper or a plastic placement works too ~ let the child create and cut out their own shapes.
- Place a straw in the end you want it to hang from and allow it to air dry a couple days until hard ~ I have attempted to bake these on a low 200F for a couple of hours to speed it up and while it will increase the chance of 'cracking' in the ornaments.
- Once dry revist the invitation wiht some glitter glue and embellishments for the children to decorate their ornament .
- Tie a ribbon around the ornament and take home to hang on their tree ~ these ornaments will give off a lovely aroma for YEARS each time their are brought back out!
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much!