Quick little dinner option that my family loves ~ for me it is a nice change from typical Taco Tuesday specially being grain free now and not having either the hard shells or soft shells and basically 'Taco Tuesday' is now 'Taco salad' which do not get me wrong I LOVE Taco Salad ... but sometimes its nice to have a change and Taco inspired stuff peppers hits the mark!
This puppies are very filling ~ for me and my step son typically ONE does the trick and my spouse will eat two leaving me a nice left over for the next day's lunch!
What You Need
- 1 Pound extra lean ground meat either beef, turkey, chicken, Italian sausage all work
- 1 glove garlic
- 1 Sweet Onion - diced
- 4 stalks celery - diced
- 2 cups of Salsa of choice ... either homemade or store bought.
- Taco Seasoning *
- 5 Large Peppers - flat on bottom as possible
- 1/2 cup of Old Cheddar Cheese - shredded
- Taco toppings of choice ~ sour cream, jalapenos, red hot sauce, etc.
- Saute the meat until no longer pink. Strain if needed. Add in garlic, onion and celery cook until starting to caramelize.
- Add in your Taco seasoning and salsa and stir until mixed
- Cut the tops of your green peppers and seed.
- Stuff meat and salsa mix into the peppers until flat along the top.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes
- Top each with some shredded cheese and return to oven until melted
I love this dish because it is so versatile for myself it is 'grain free' but if others in the house are still wanting to eat 'grains' you can serve with 'corn tortillas' on the side for scooping up the mixture with and no concern for cross contamination!
- 3 cups of chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup of onion
- 2 chopped fresh jalapeno pepper (keep seeds if you want heat)
- 1/4 cup fresh minced Cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (or 1 fresh squeezed lime)
- 3 tablespoons of Epicure Poco Picante Salsa
- Mix ingredients in bowl.
- Store left overs in an air tight container in the fridge
- If you do not have Epicure seasoning you can add 1/2 tsp cumin, salt and black pepper to season it.
If you want a ready made low sodium alternative Epicure has a very tasty option that we love to have on hand cause well sometimes taking the 'guess work' out of having to measure all the separate ingredients is handy especially for a working wife and mother who has a lot on the go but if you like to make your own the following also works great:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt ~ optional
Do you have a favorite 'stuffed pepper' flavor combination? Leave us a comment and tell us more!
Have an amazing day
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much