Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Two Ingredient Icecream ~ YES PLEASE!

Dairy free ice-cream alternatives in the store are RIDICULOUSLY priced ~ which led me to look for homemade alternatives when I enrolled a 'dairy free' friend in my daycare and are specially helpful now that I myself and being more committed to respecting my dairy allergy to get my health back on track!

What You Need:

  • 4 large very ripe bananas
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter

 

 

 What You Do:

  • Peel bananas and slice into 1/2 inch discs. Arrange banana slices in a single layer on parchment paper lined tray. Freeze for at least 1-2 hours.


  • I like to keep a large quantity of the frozen banana in the freezer in a zip log bag and than I can just pull out what is needed for use in ice-cream, smoothies or banana bread. Great way to use up those bananas that have gone 'too ripe' by accident or when they are on 'sale' to get them for cheaper because they are actually 'sweeter' so your ice-cream or smoothie or recipe will need less sugar! 
  • Place the banana slices in a food processor or powerful blender. I love my BLENDTEC for this it is one of the many reasons I bought one. 
  • Pulse the banana slices, scraping down the bowl as needed. Continue to pulse until the mixture is creamy and smooth* Add the peanut butter and puree to combine.  Some machines, like the Blendtec, actually have an 'ice-cream' button you can just press and it will puree and pulse for you!  

Baking Tips
* if you have a hard time creating a creamy consistency, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut, almond or regular milk to help puree the banana slices. 

Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream consistency. If you prefer harder ice cream, place in the freezer for a few hours and then serve so that you can get a nice 'scoop' presentation such as this one.

Make sure you use a powerful food processor or blender for this ~ I have tired this recipe before my Blendtec and it did not work ~ had to add way too much almond milk and it ended up being a milkshake that when I put it in the freezer to firm up did not have the same creamy texture I get from my Blendtec!

 

 Have an amazing day!

Margaret
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
Totallyawake4-life







No comments:

Post a Comment