Monday, January 28, 2019

Powerhouse Waffles YES PLEASE!

I love a nice 'brunch' on a Sunday morning -  there is something about the weekend and being able to have the time for a nice big breakfast as it often needs to to tied me over until dinner time cause life gets busy on weekends and lunch often slips past on me. So these protien packed Powerhouse Waffles are JUST the thing!

If you have not already caught on to the awesomeness that is Greek Yogurt I highly recommend trying it out - unlike traditionally made yogurts Greek Yogurt is packed high with protien and if you choose the plain it is very low sugar/carbs which makes it a nice powerhouse option when balancing your plate! I use it as both a yogurt AND as a lower calorie sour cream replacement in my recipes - it is perfect. For a yogurt option it  does need to have a little flavor added to it otherwise it definitely tastes more like sour cream than yogurt we are used to!

My favorite brand is the Oikos Triple Zero because it has on added sugar, fat or preservatives so is a nice clean option and it is one that does not seem to aggravate my psoriasis since it is a 'dairy' product.


Ingredients 
  • 2 1/2 cups of quick oats or gluten-free oats
  • 2 scoops of protien powder of choice - I like either Wegmans brand Protein powder or from Amazon Collagen Peptides 
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon 
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 2/3 cup of egg whites
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 Tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp  vanilla extract
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C). Place a lightly oiled Waffle Mold on a sheet pan - I love my waffle mould it is so quick and easy to make many waffles all at once - I got it  from Epicure
  2. Place oats in a food processor and blend to the consistency of flour - I love my Blendtec blender for quickly turning oats or almond or cocount into flour for me!
  3. Add to bowl and combine with protein blend, cinnamon, and baking powder.
  4. Mix wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix with dry ingredients until just combined.  
  5. Pour approximately 1/3 cup of batter into each mold, filling all corners. I gently bang the waffle mold on the pan to help flatten evenly over the mold.
  6. Bake 12–15 minutes, or until golden. 
  7. When cool to the touch, flip mold over a platter and gently remove waffles. 
  8. Repeat steps 5–7 with remaining batter.



These Powerhouse waffles freeze AMAZINGLY! I love to batch cook them and than freeze 2 at a time in Ziploc baggies and can quickly pull out from freezer pop into the toaster and toast them up for quick breakfast during the week too! 

You can serve them with traditional maple syrup and whipped cream and icing sugar for that true 'Sunday Brunch waffle treat' but now that I am clean eating I prefer to opt for even healthier low calorie choices  - so I forgo the maple syrup and whip cream and love to serve mine with an Epicure Sweet Dip  and Plain Greek Yogurt mix and fresh berries!
 
In this photo I have made up a Chocolate Truffle Sweet Dip and topped with Cocoa Crunch Whole Food Topper and than a half a cup of strawberries and blueberries. The chocolate truffle sweet dip is awesome as it is sweetened with natural sugars and gives the meal a 'chocolate whipped cream' flare! The Epicure Whole Food topppers are a great addition as they add 2 g fibre per serving & omega-3 fatty acids so great to add breakfast & desserts for that little pop of nutritional boost.

For those who like a breakdown of calories and macros for a balanced breakfast

If you get a chance to try a recipe please leave me a comment on the blog with your own review! 

Margaret
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
Be Totallyawake4-life

No comments:

Post a Comment