Friday, October 16, 2015

Fried Radishes?

What's in a Radish?
OK so I am challenging myself to try to eat new vegetables and this week it was to master the palette of the radish.

So first up lefts cover the nutritional benefits of why I am even wanting to be eating a 'radish' cause they have always seemed kinda like a 'garnish' verses an actual source of nutrition to me!



So according to the Nutritional Database here a serving of 1 cup of radishes has the following nutritional breakdown
 So overall it seems like a fairly strong add on to the menu rotation because while most of its calories come from sugar it is LOW in calories over all so you'd have to be really 'over doing it' on the radish portions to get a weight gain result PLUS it is a good source of  Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Copper and Manganese, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Folate and Potassium all things I need to be adding to my grain free diet. 

Radish is also said to have the following benefits to aid in health which all sounded like an awesome reason to give this little baby a try ...
http://freshorganicgardening.com/
Image found on Pinterest from Fresh Organic Gardening

FRIED RADISHES

 What You Need:
  • Bunch of fresh radishes (we were serving two of us so I did up about 2 cups of sliced)
  • 1 tsp of coconut oil
  • Fresh Ground Pepper
  • 2 gloves garlic - minced
  • 2 tablespoon onion - minced
What You Do:
  •  Remove greens from radishes, clean with your veggie cloth  (PS I love my ENJO veggie cloth) and slice into thin even slices
  • Add oil to pan and melt
  • Add garlic, onion and thinly sliced radishes
  • Saute on medium heat until the radishes are al dante and start to brown nicely
  • Season with the black pepper to taste 
  • Serve as a 'side' in place of your traditional grain
 Cook's Review


As a child I always associated a 'radish' with the nasty horseradish adults put on their roast beef so had stayed clear of them. As an adult radishes were something I have always 'tolerated' if sliced finely in a summer potato or macaroni salad at potluck but not something I have actively 'cooked with' as a part of a main meal ... raw I find them a nice spice addition to the salad but too much all on their own however FRIED they take on a whole new flavor and texture which is actually quiet tasty. While not something I can say I would 'crave' I think I was able to successfully palette them and finished everything on my plate. I think that these will definitely go into the menu rotation ~ maybe not daily but regularly! 

Have an amazing day!

Margaret
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much




No comments:

Post a Comment