What You Need
- 1 14-ounce can coconut cream or full fat coconut milk (Thai Kitchen is best)
- 1 tablespoon of sweetener of choice ~ we use either honey or coconut palm sugar or stevia depending on the age of the kids sharing it with or if personal use
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
What You Do
- Chill your coconut cream or coconut milk UPRIGHT in the refrigerator overnight along with the bowl you want to prep the whipped cream in~ handle with care as you remove it because you want to keep the contents 'separated'.
- Carefully open the container of coconut cream or full fat coconut milk and scrape out the top, thickened cream and leave the liquid that settles at the bottom behind (do not throw it out you can bake with this or add it to smoothies for extra flavor and healthy benefits of the coconut water)
- Place hardened cream in your chilled mixing bowl. Beat for 30 seconds with a mixer until creamy. Then add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until creamy and smooth - about 1 minute. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
- Use immediately or refrigerate - it will continue to set in the fridge the longer it's chilled. Admittedly ours never stays around long but I have read that it will keep for up to 1 - 2 weeks you just need to whisk it up with a fork again before serving!
If your coconut milk didn't harden and separate it is likely made without the the right fat content. Rather than throwing it out you can try to salvage it with a bit of tapioca flour - 1 to 4 Tbsp - during the whipping process.
Whipped Coconut Cream is awesome on your sweet treats like hot chocolate, pies, ice-cream and sometimes we have it as a 'dairy free pudding' alternative with a side of fruit on top!
Have an amazing day!