Friday, January 8, 2016

Homemade Tomato Sauce

I will admit that for the most part I tend to just purchase 'store bought' pasta sauce because the cost of fresh tomatoes often makes making my own seem less cost effective. However sometimes when tomatoes are on sale or I luck into a friend who has loads extra from their garden I will whip up a batch of homemade pasta sauces. It really is so easy and makes me long for a green thumb and the space for a garden so I could grow my own tomatoes and make enough of this to freeze through the winter season ... no added salt or sugar just fresh natural ingredients!
 
Homemade Tomato Sauce
Makes approximately 4-5 cups

What You Need
  • Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Coconut oil 
  • 1 cup onions, chopped extra-fine
  • 1 cup celery, chopped extra-fine
  • 1 cup carrots, shredded
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4-6 large fresh tomatoes or 1 jar of Tomato Sauce
  • Handful of fresh Italian parsley and basil, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp each Italian seasoning or Epicure's Marinara Seasoning
  • 1 tsp each black pepper, roasted red pepper flakes, paprika
What You Do
  • In a saute pan add a drizzle of oil of choice and saute onions, celery and carrots with garlic.
  • While sauteing wash tomatoes and purred in food processor and strain to remove as much of seeds as possible or 1 jar of tomato sauce
  • Once veggies are tender add in the pureed tomatoes or prepared tomato sauce. Add herbs and seasonings. 
  • Simmer over low heat or in a crockpot on low for 4-6 hours until all flavors have combined.
  • If you do not like 'chunks' use an immersion blender to puree smooth consistency or of making ahead for freezing can let cool and add to your food processor for a final puree.
  • Use as is or add meat and combine with your favorite pasta dish! 
  • Freeze unused portions for up to 3 months. 
Cooks Tip
To aid with meal planning ~ I like to measure out in 1 cup servings into Ziploc baggies and than I can grab as needed to use for my lunches or in other recipes.
  
Have an amazing day!

Margaret
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
Be Totallyawake4-life

No comments:

Post a Comment