Sunday, October 11, 2015

Perfect Pumpkin Pie



This is my first thanksgiving trying to be strong and stick to my 'grain free and clean eating' even when preparing for a big social gathering with family and friends .... normally in the past I would bring a big ole gluten free stuffing full of nuts and dried fruit a total mouth orgasm along side my turkey with a side of candied pecan sweet potato casserole to go with all the other trimmings and for dessert my old evil pumpkin pie recipe .... my whole meal likely topped my recommended calorie intake for a WEEK and would send my glucose readings into next week along with it! 

So this weekend I am having a roasted turkey with a side of mashed cauliflower, sweet potato in its natural clean glory with home made low sodium gravy and for desert the following grain free, dairy free, sugar free but totally tasty pumpkin pie ... I made myself some crust-less ones cause I wont have any containers left at dessert for crust but my family is getting a grain free version crust to enjoy cause they are not worrying about their calories this Thanksgiving!

Pumpkin Pie filling

Serves 
  • 2 pies OR 1 pie and  4 mini crust-less casserole dishes

 What You Need
  • 27 ounce can pure pureed pumpkin ~ not pumpkin pie mix 
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 4 teaspoon Epicure pumpkin pie spice OR make your own recipe below
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened Almond milk

What You Do
  • Whisk the eggs in a bowl and fold in the remaining ingredients
  • Mix until well blended
  • Pour into your pie crusts until it is just below the 'edge' of the crust wall or add 1 cup of mix to greased mini casserole dishes.
  • Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes until fork comes clean in middle ~ the crustless might cook quicker depending on the size of your casserole dish.

 DIY Pumpkin Pie spice

 What You Need
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 3 drops of Clove Bud Essential oils
 What you Do
  • Mix all ingredients in a bowl and add to your recipe above

Coconut Flour Pie Crust

Coconut Flour Pie Crust
Coconut Pie Crust recipe sourced from Coconut Mama
What You Need
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil or   Butter, Melted
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 3/4 Cup coconut flour 
  • 3 Tablespoons Raw Honey - omit if you want a savory pie crust for something like quiche or chicken pot pie
What You Do
  • Preheat oven to 400 F.
  • In a medium bowl beat butter, eggs, honey and salt together with a fork.
  • Then add coconut flour. Stir until dough holds together.
  • Gather the dough into a ball, then pat into a 9″ greased pie pan.
  • Prick the dough with a fork.
  • Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown. Let cool.
  • Add your filling and bake as required

This year I am so determined NOT to have this scale trick need to  happen to me! If you are 'fixing' like I am than your crust-less pumpkin pie would be either a 1 purple and 0.5 red and as your 'free' maple syrups for the day ... if you have a piece with the crust as well I would count it as 1 yellow swap 'treat' cause now you are having maple syrup AND the honey in the crust plus the coconut flour.


Hope you are having an amazing Thanksgiving! 

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
Margaret 
Totallyawake4-life

No comments:

Post a Comment