Thursday, January 27, 2022

Ode to the Thyroid Gland

 Thyroid...


It's been a few years since you found out I'll be with you the rest of your life.

I'm very slippery, I don't always show up when you test.

People around you can't see or hear me, but your body does. I can attack you anywhere and any way you choose. For example tingling or hand pain.

Remember when you had a lot of energy and had a blast! Well, sometimes I participate in: your energy, and I left you exhausted. I took a little of your memory and part of your concentration.
I can make you sleep for many hours, or I can cause insomnia. Make you tremble and feel cold or hot but for everyone else the temperature is normal.

I can make your feet and hands swell, your face and eyelids swell... I can make you feel very anxious and give you panic attacks.

I'm very complicated...

Do you remember the sudden mood change ? Yes, thats me... I can make you cry for no reason ... and get pissed off for no reason yes that’s me again.

I can make your hair fall out and make it very thin , dry and fragile, I can cause severe acne, cause dry skin, I have no limits or borders.

I will make you gain weight no matter what or how much you eat. Your diet becomes impossible to lose weight yes I take credit for that too.

Doing activities like walking or doing other exercises is a massive effort and really strains your body and you will never get me out of your body, 

You now have to take medication for the rest of your life or I’ll kill you.

I can make your cholesterol high and give you blood pressure problems, that's me!

Heart failure? Me! Elevated liver enzymes? Me! Got dental problems? Me too!

You feel tired..., and your family and friends will be tired of hearing again and again how tired you are". Yep that’s me doing all this too!They don't know that I remove part of the energy your body and mind that’s needed daily to perform normal activities. They will not understand why, this disease attacks your body from the tip of the hair to the tip of your toes , and that every cell and organ of your body requires the appropriate amount of thyroid hormones 

With love ♥ ️...
Your Hypothyroidism
Credit Rachel Ducker 

Wanted to share because this has got to be one of the most accurate descriptions of life with under active thyroid challenges! Every single one of the things she covered I have struggled with over the past 20 plus years! Including the challenge of regular tests not indicating an issue because I was on the low end of “normal” so the Family Dr initially didn’t believe it was my thyroid that was the problem. 

It was my oncologist after my hysterectomy that had to send her a note saying it was clear the her that my normal didn’t align with what the thyroid testing benchmark of normal was and that she saw a body struggling to heal from surgery because the thyroid wasn’t doing it’s part and recommended starting thyroid medication to support my recovery. 

So now when I have loved ones and friends who exhibit symptoms like above I am a strong advocate to PUSH their family Dr to not use the standard test alone to really look and listen to what are going on in their body! 

Be Healthy!  

Margaret 
Live, Laugh. Love
Be Totallyawake4-life 

No comments:

Post a Comment